Wednesday, January 9, 2008

NH Primary

Chalk one up for Hillary Clinton, she won the NH Primary over Obama by a margin of roughly 8000 votes, 39% to Obama's 34%. She needed this win badly, her campaign was being poorly managed and needs an overhaul. But can we stop talking about her tearing up? I read a comment by someone in the NY Times, which sums up my thoughts nicely; all these candidates cry from time to time, with the possible exception of Mitt Romney, who no doubt hires very convincing people to cry for him.

Obama will survive. John Edwards is in a tougher position, having received 17% of the vote. If he doesn't win South Carolina, I don't see how he can stay in the race. He has clung to his principles of not taking PAC money, but that leaves him financially out of the game.

As expected, John McCain won NH for the Republicans. He won it by a larger margin than expected, whupping Romney 37% - 32%, in Romney's home state. Unfortunately, Romney isn't going away any time soon, he has a lot of money to spend.

Ron Paul got 8% of the vote in NH, but I'm disappointed to say that Rudy Giuliani got 9%. What are people thinking? He was fine as mayor, but I have no confidence in his ability to be even a competent President. I like him only marginally more than I like Romney, who I don't like at all.

1 comment:

anhaga said...

Hi, I'm back for a brief visit. I needed to respond to the suggestion that Giuliani had accrued credits in his performance as a public servant that might balance the burden of debits that have also followed him. He has consistently performed since his federal prosecutor days as an over-stepper of the bounds of his office (while gaining media points, of course, for his successes while doing so). GWB precedes him in the office of POTS where he has adopted a similar policy -- creating a mandate for his administration, where none was granted, to dictate the new rules by which he serves God and Man. I wouldn't accede to a Giuliani presidency any more than I will to the present one. What about those remarks I hear from the omniscient media pundits from time to time? The Clintons seek nothing more than Power?