Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11



It's been six years since the World Trade Center in NYC was destroyed, and while I don't want to dwell on all the feelings that brings up, I was reminded of another favorite commercial.

Budweiser did a beautiful job with this NYC tribute ad. Without one word of dialog, they pay their respects very effectively. I'm a fan of the Clydesdale series anyway, but this one never fails to bring a tear to my eye. Sentimental fool, perhaps, but so be it. I have to say I try not to watch the "Spot" ad, where the homeless dog gets sprayed with mud and ends up on the wagon. That one reminds me too much of the "Feed the Birds" old woman in Mary Poppins. I can't watch that movie because I can't get around the sadness of that scene.

Trivia note: the actress who played the Bird Woman was Jane Darwell. It was her final role of almost 200 film appearances. She was also Mrs. Dolly Merriwether in Gone With the Wind.

2 comments:

Key Dear said...

Chills.... yes, that was moving. Why haven't I seen that one on the tube??
They are on the right track and I give them 5 BOLD stars.

Key Dear said...

The feed the birds scene stole the movie... as much as everyone enjoyed repeating all the sing songing of the movie, that put reality into it. The adorable little rich sheltered children having a Nanny that gave them a view of the world. Mary Poppins rocks.