Thursday, September 6, 2007

Liberty Mutual


I've been trying to think of a commercial that pisses me off, but frankly I haven't been watching a lot of TV lately, so I decided to go with another one of my favorites. It doesn't hurt that these Liberty Mutual commercials are using music that I think is beautiful. The band's name is HEM.

I've said for years that I don't expect to change the world, but I think I can change MY world. I believe that's a good goal to have. Do the best you can, every day; be completely conscious of how what you say and do and think affects others. Lead by example. Take nothing for granted. Now I know I'm not successful at this every day, but I do make the effort and I do think about it all the time.

And that's what I like about these Liberty Mutual commercials. People are doing the right thing for someone else because it's the right thing to do, not because they expect a reward or anything in return. Someone sees someone else helping a stranger, and it rubs off, and they help someone in turn, and it goes around. It isn't just the person helped who is affected, it's someone who witnesses the act who absorbs the message and acts accordingly. I'd like to believe that the Golden Rule really could work, if only we would all pay attention and walk our talk.

I may not be the shining example I'd like to be, but I do try.

5 comments:

anhaga said...

All the elements of a Trotskyite malcontent appear in this latest blog-- independent thinking, humanitarian goals - honesty, fairness, respect - making the effort her own self, expecting others she urges on to disallow self-serving considerations, exulting in examples of enterprises in the common weal. All together one suspects an agent seeking to undermine the principles that Jesus, Jefferson and my Johnson here all stand up for -- ME! Deplorable. Let's not dismiss just yet the considerable advantages to ME of ruthless competition.

web wabbit said...

LOL!

I'm not much of a cut-throat, am I? And consideration for your Johnson aside, neither are you!

anhaga said...

Thanks for noting the exception : = )

anhaga said...

Just to be serious, albeit belatedly, for a moment, I count those commercials as the finest and most optimistic and uplifting things I have ever seen on TV. Can anything else in memory compare?

web wabbit said...

I agree, I'm impressed with the optimism and hope expressed in the Liberty Mutual commercials. I really hope it's contagious.